Typical Assessment Findings
These are actual findings discovered and reported by Grant Progress Assessment assessors and reported to NIJ:
- Grant funds were being used to support activity that did not reflect the goals outlined in the proposal.
- No progress had been made in producing deliverables 18 months into the award.
- Grant-funded equipment was not being used.
- The grantee's records did not separate cases worked with grant funds and those worked with regular salary funds.
- The maximum daily rate provided to contractors exceeded the maximum allowable daily rate of $450.
- The number of cases reviewed listed in progress reports counted the same cases for different project periods.
- The grantee used funds for a conference unrelated to DNA backlog analysis.
- Funds in the consultants/contract budget category were encumbered prior to the award start date.
- The grantee issued a sole source purchase order before receiving approval.
- The grantee used funds from the consultant category, which had a zero budget.
Date Created: February 27, 2013