Courtesy of St. Petersburg College
Based on findings from the preliminary examination, proceed with the examination of revolvers as follows:
- Remove the cylinder (for double-action revolvers, open the cylinder).
- Inspect the cylinder for damage and smoke halos (may indicate which cylinder was fired last).
- Replace (in double action, close) the cylinder and check the functionality of the cylinder stop.
- Cock the hammer until it locks and attempt to rotate the cylinder. (The cylinder stop located in the frame below the cylinder should hold the cylinder in alignment with the barrel.) Perform this check on all chambers.
- Manually hold the hammer to the rear while the cylinder stop is checked (double action only (DAO) revolvers).
Revolver with cylinder removed
Courtesy of Florida Department of
Law Enforcement, Tampa, FL
- Test the trigger pull. Click to view trigger pull section
- Test the safety functions. Click to view safety section
- Test fire the firearm. Click to view test fire section
Click here to watch a revolver safety and preliminary examination demonstration
Courtesy of Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Tampa, FL