NIJ Training: Advanced and Emerging DNA Techniques and Technologies for Forensic Analysts
Although advancements to methods in forensic biology have streamlined the analysis process, the community continues to research
faster methods. Some of the research has focused on miniaturization technology, robotics, and expert systems. This course
provides an overview of these three technologies. The horizon continues to expand as more technology is developed.
Upon successful completion of this unit of instruction, you shall be able to:
- Understand the advantages of automation for the forensic community
- Comprehend that automation can be in form of instrumentation and/or software
- List advantages of miniaturization techniques
- Evaluate robotic systems available today and consider benefits of such systems for your laboratory
- Recognize that software expert systems are on the horizon
Read about technology and techniques for analysis of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), Y chromosome short tandem repeats
(Y-STR), low copy number (LCN) DNA, and mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), in the course Non-STR DNA Markers.
If you have taken any courses offered through DNA.gov, use your same login and password to access this course.