Research and Evaluation in Publicly Funded Forensic Laboratories
Apply now! NIJ has released the fiscal year 2018 solicitation
Research and Evaluation for the Testing and Interpretation of Physical Evidence in Publicly Funded Forensic Laboratories (pdf, 41 pages).
Application deadline: May 7, 2018.
We are calling on public laboratories to submit contact information to connect with postgraduate researchers to assist in preparing an application for the forthcoming solicitation.
The Research and Evaluation for the Testing and Interpretation of Physical Evidence in Publicly Funded Forensic Laboratories (Public Labs) program’s intent is to fund projects that direct the findings of research and evaluation toward the identification of the most efficient, accurate, reliable, and cost-effective methods for the identification, analysis, and interpretation of physical evidence for criminal justice purposes.
With this program, NIJ typically seeks applications for research and evaluation projects that will:
- Identify and inform the forensic community of best practices through the evaluation of existing laboratory protocols.
- Have a direct and immediate impact on laboratory efficiency and assist in making laboratory policy decisions.
When applying for an award under this program, please read carefully the specific solicitation as requirements may changes from year to year.
The Public Labs program is specifically targeted toward applicants from publicly funded laboratories and has the following objectives:
- Assessing existing laboratory protocols.
- Improve understanding of the rationales underpinning existing laboratory processes.
- Evaluating emerging methods.
- Assess the value of emerging laboratory processes.
Applicants are limited to publicly funded forensic science laboratories that are currently accredited by an independent accrediting or certifying forensic science organization. Publicly funded forensic science laboratories include:
- State laboratories
- Regional laboratories
- County laboratories
- Municipal laboratories
- Tribal agency laboratories
This program excludes federal agencies.
Date Created: March 16, 2018