Funding for Equipment
NIJ's mandate does not allow us to provide direct funding for equipment purchases and training beyond that supplied under our forensic laboratory enhancement funding programs. However, NIJ has identified a number of other sources for new and surplus equipment.
NOTE: Applications for Research Funding may rightfully involve the acquisition of equipment, materials, or supplies if they are intended to support the conduct of applied research, development, demonstration, evaluation, or analysis work.
New and Surplus Equipment Programs
NIJ does not exercise control over external Web sites. Read our Exit Notice.
- 1033 Program: Permits the Secretary of Defense to transfer, without charge, excess DoD personal property to State and local law enforcement agencies.
- 1122 Program: Allows State and local governments to purchase new law enforcement equipment for counter-drug activities through the Federal Government at large-volume discount.
- Bulletproof Vest Partnership Grant Program: Through this program, BJA provides funding assistance to State, local, and tribal governments for the purchase of body armor. BJA will match up to 50 percent of the cost of the armor.
- Justice Assistance Grant Program: Funds from this program may be used to provide personnel, equipment, training, technical assistance, and information systems for more widespread apprehension, prosecution, adjudication, detention, and rehabilitation of offenders who violate such state and local laws.
- Making Officer Redeployment Effective (COPS MORE) Grants: This grant program, provided through the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) office, is designed to expand the time available for community policing by current law enforcement officers through the funding of technology, equipment, and support personnel.
- Department of Homeland Security Grant Programs: The Department of Homeland Security enhances the ability of states, local and tribal jurisdictions, and other regional authorities in the preparation, prevention, and response to terrorist attacks and other disasters, by distributing grant funds. Localities can use grants for planning, equipment, training and exercise needs.
- Office of Justice Programs Technology Initiatives: The OJP Information Technology Initiatives Web site offers access to timely and useful information on the information sharing process, initiatives, and technological developments. The funding section of this site provides information on both Federal and private funding sources, examples of innovative funding ideas, and tips on researching funding legislation.
- Surplus Property Donation Program: Each State and territory has a State Agency for Surplus Property to receive Federal surplus personal property and donate it to public agencies and certain nonprofit, tax-exempt agencies.
- U.S. Fire Administration Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program: The purpose of the program is to award one-year grants directly to fire departments of a State to enhance their abilities with respect to fire and fire-related hazards.
Back to Funding home
Date Modified: August 17, 2015