Elder Abuse: Research Agenda
To assist the field in responding to current and emerging needs of older Americans, NIJ has established a research program
focusing on elder mistreatment. Key research priorities are:
- Identifying and evaluating forensic markers of physical and sexual abuse and neglect among the elderly. See Potential Markers to Identify Elder Mistreatment.
- Evaluating programs designed to detect, prevent, investigate, prosecute, or otherwise redress elder mistreatment.
- Examining risk and protective factors associated with elder mistreatment in both institutional and community settings.
- Exploring the nature, incidence, and prevalence of elder mistreatment and establishing uniform definitions and measures.
- Evaluating a coordinated community response to elder mistreatment.
Date Created: November 7, 2007